The Rot Doctor


Subject: Deck rot, 1989 Larson
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004

The stern of my decking is definitely rotting out, I can practically poke my finger through one section. I feel pretty confident now that I can replace the sections involved, coating the remaining wood and new pieces with CPES™. My question is, where do I get marine grade plywood? My local hardware store just stared at me.

It is not something that a hardware store will carry. Even most lumber stores don't stock it generally, but the better ones either stock it or can order it.

We generally use the best exterior grade plywood we can find and treat it with CPES™ and a marine paint or varnish, figuring that if we can keep the moisture away from the wood, spending the extra $ for marine grade becomes unnecessary.

You don't say where you are, but there is a place in Ohio that you can order marine grade plywood online from. I don't know what the might charge to ship if you are not nearby, but you could easily find out.