The Rot Doctor


Subject: Quantity of CPES and or L&L
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999

What's up Doc?

Hopefully our Log cabin for many more years.
A friend of mine and I have purchased an old Log cabin in northern Quebec, Canada. It was originally built around 1940 (depending on who you ask). The Cabin is approximately 20ft x 36ft and the logs are from nearly 24" to 14" in diameter. At least two of the bottom logs, one at each end, and two of the top logs, one front and one back, are rotten. The roof needs major work, so we will more than likely replace the top logs that are rotten. But, the bottom logs would be difficult to replace and your product sounds like it may be the solution to our problem.

I have read most of the information on your web page, and Q&A's from other people. What I have not seen is a good estimate for the amount of CPES that would be required to repair a certain size of log.

If we order the 2 gallon kit, start repairing one log, possible have it hollowed out, depending on the severity of the rot. To find the 2 gallon kit only covers 1/3 of the log (for example). We would have to leave the log partially fixed until we could receive more CPES and have the opportunity to return to the cabin and continue with the repair. If we had an idea of how much CPES we would require to fix at least two of the logs (slightly more CPES would be ok as we will treat the outside and inside of all the logs) we could determine how much it would cost, and possibly get it done all at one time.

Is there any way we can roughly estimate the amount of CPES may be required??

Thank you in advance,

Dale & Van

Hey, Guys!

Based on what you are saying, we would estimate that you are looking at about 2 gallons of CPES per 6 linear feet of rotten log. You can't put too much in, but you CAN put too little in. It partly depends on what method you use to attack the rot. If you cut away the face and re-fill, then you can remove much of the rotted wood and there is no need to saturate it. You might need a little more CPES if you use the drill-and-fill repair method, because you are not able to see what's happening and you are going to want to squirt in all the wood will take.

With the L&L Resin it is strictly a volume issue. You can stretch the L&L Resin by adding course sawdust to make a slurry, but that only increases it by about 30% -- it still has to pour. If you are cutting away the face and filling then you can fill with any wood (treated with CPES) and just use the L&L Resin to fill cracks and hold things in place. You'll use less.

Now the bad news for Canadians: No US carrier (except FedEx, and you don't want to know their prices!) will transport CPES across an international border because it is a Hazardous Material. Canada doesn't care -- it's just the US carriers. So, what our Canadian customers do is have us ship the material to a point on the US side of the border and then they or a friend drive across and pick it up. We supply all appropriate paperwork, including a NAFTA statement. They have no problems, and we would be happy to do the same for you.

Good luck to you and let me know if we can be of further help.