Subject: Amount & Type needed (house porch)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998

I am restoring 1903 Victorian House.
I have a new porch I just built of Walmerized T & G Pine planking.
Porch dimensions are 8' x 65' ( 520 sq. ft. )
Need to know the type sealer to use and amount needed.
All new beams & joist supports also built under this porch.
I want this porch to last a VERY long time.
Also would like to seal the 10 wooden columns and capitols.
Thanks for your time.
Charles C.
Baytown, Texas

I assume that the Walmerized refers to pressure-treated planking. If this is true, then there is some doubt that the Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES) would do much good at this time. The wood fibers are presumably already *saturated* with preservative. There is no place for the CPES to go.

Beams and joists are best protected with CPES before they are laid, especially at the wood joints, which is where the rot usually starts. I don't think at this point you want to tear everything apart to apply the CPES. My advice would be to keep an eye on things and if you see any wood discoloration or *softness* then go after it with the CPES. It will restore rotted wood.

As for the columns and capitals, these can be effectively treated with the CPES, as long as the wood and any joints are open and free from paint or other sealing finish. It's just a simple matter of slowing applying the CPES and allowing the wood to absorb it. They can be painted afterwards, with 2-3 days.

If I have guessed wrong on the Walmerizing, then get back to me and we can discuss this further, or get back to me if you have further questions.